Few days back as I was reading newspaper, I felt this urge to write a post here but didn't have the time and energy to. Obviously we're still on the topic about how ministers should get paid millions of bucks per year and the government are still justifying their actions on our propaganda-like newspaper.
It got me thinking, is Singapore kept intact just by money alone?
It has been quite a heated discussion over the past few weeks and perhaps it has already past the 'month' mark that the government have to be 'competitive' compared to the private sector and that the ministers should be paid on par with top chairmans and CEOs.
Question, who do we have to run the government so business-like?
It's effective, it's orderly. But somehow, I think the government has lost it's connection with the people and I don't think they understand what we think and how we feel. Mee siam mai ham, anyone?
Then they quoted about why are we bothering about a few million comparing to our billions of dollar GDPs and trade. It got me riled up inside because I can't really believe they actually said that. Talking about the rich who doesn't understand the poor. We're the people who paid the taxes (I haven't, but soon will) and we're talking millions of dollars here. Why can't we get emotionally touchy here? It's our money after all?
Then we need to make the salaries more attractive to attract 'talents' to run the nation. If money is the only reason why these people are running in the office, how much faith do you have in them that when the war comes, they'll be around? Are Singaporeans really so superficial? I understand that with better pay, it definitely makes the job looks more attractive and yes, our leaders do deserve good salaries but is money the only thing we could do to make it attractive?
Is there no one out there willing to make a difference without having to be tempted by the pay of a high ranked official and do the job for love for the nation?
Okay, this is a very controversial topic and I might very well get sued :x but it's just something I feel strongly about and can't just forgo and forget about it.
Although here I am, doubting our government, take nothing away from them because they have indeed done a great job for the past 40 odd years and we often take things for granted. But the feeling of disconnection with the government really is hurting the people and they need to realise, that the people still have the power and they're accountable to us.
PS: I might get sued for this. Please bail me out ASAP. Out! =X
Thursday, April 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment