Friday, August 24, 2007

Final Brainwash Procedure

Haha hello!

Didn't really blog the previous 2 days because the classes ended a bit late and I'm a bit lazy as well. Well it was all over on customer service and also how to actually taste and differentiate coffees.

It's quite difficult for novice (nicer name for N0OBs) coffee drinkers like us because they all smell the same somehow and the taste is as bitter as the previous ones. But as we tasted more, we were finally able to differentiate them according to the areas they are from and their characteristics.

Asian/Pacific coffee are the super intense, dark and they smell and taste like herbs. Latin America ones are 'washed' and have more flowery smell to them with while the Arab/Africa have the most unique and exotic coffees around. They're unpredictable and their smell + taste ranges from earthy to 'caramely'.

One of the coaches actually said its like picking girlfriends and he could tell your 'taste' from your preference but he say he's not telling us the secret. So...got say like never say? haha!

Eh but today's class was super duper fun because we can finally move on from smelling coffee to actually making Starbucks drinks! Those you've seen on the menu board, I made them all today. I'm so proud of myself despite having some 'bimbo moments' here and there. HAHAHA

First it was the espresso, the most bitter and smallest cup of coffee you'll find. There are 2 machines and instead of using the one which is easier, we had to use the La Marzocco machine which is slightly more technical and more difficult to use. Aiya, anyway the other machine is just one button press away...

So we had to grind the beans through the Astoria grinder, fill up the portafilter with even amount of beans and then secure it, press a button and see the nice smelling dark brown liquid flowing through the filter. A nice shot of espresso can be seen with 3 different layers and off different colours. So cool huh.

Anyway I had my bimbo moment near the end of the class when I was already pretty tired. Supposed to press one of the two buttons available (one is to make the drink, the other is just dispensing hot water) and I managed to press the wrong one. Whalao, so blur la...

Once we mastered the espresso machine, it was the process of steaming the milk and also making whipped cream. Okay the whipped cream canister they use is SO cool.. Just pour the milk in, close the cover, turn a knob and TADAH! Just like that!

Steaming milk is a little more complicating as you need to maintain the temperature while moving the 'steam wand' around the milk to clear up the bubbles.

The final part was just about making all the drinks you have at Starbucks la..Caffe Latte...Cappuccino.. Caramel Macchiato...

Okay if you visit me...please buy more Americano because it's SO simple to make...just make 2 shots of espresso and hot water...done!

OKAY I MADE THEM:


Other than the varying number of shots vs cup size (you can laugh, says the coach :p), there's also a different figure of syrup pumps for different cup sizes. It can be so confusing but I think it's something you'll get used to as experience comes in.

Caramel Macchiato was the most fun one as we're able to put the caramel toppings on top and it tasted fantastic. haha!

At the end of it, there were probably like 20 cups of coffees lying around on the table and not one of them are finished. We had to throw them away. What a waste...we can probably donate...oh nevermind :)


So that was all! I'll now go for my in store training BUT don't come down until I finish my training or you'll be utterly disappointed to see me only bussing and mopping the floor :p